good cake isn't hard to make. you just have to follow a some important rules:
1. use heavy gauge pans for even baking.
2. preheat the oven for at least 20 minutes and use an oven thermometer to check the temp.
3. read the entire recipe, twice, and check to make sure you have everything needed before you start.
4. room temperature means that the ingredients are about 70 degrees so let the cold stuff sit out for a
5. measure properly.
6. use a timer rather than glancing at the clock and winging it.
7. test the cake for doneness near the minimum baking time-if it says 40-45 minutes, check it at about
38-40 minutes and adjust the additional baking time as needed.
8. cold cake layers are easier to frost and slice but cakes should always be served at room temp; let it sit
out before serving if you had it in the fridge.
vanilla buttermilk cake with instant fudge frosting
makes an 8 inch triple layer cake serving 12-16
4 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
3 cups cake flour
2 cups sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temp
frosting, recipe follows
preheat the oven to 350. spray 3 (8") heavy gauge metal cake pans, line them with paper(wax or parchment) and spray again.
whisk the eggs, yolk, vanilla and 1/4 cup of the buttermilk to combine. set aside. place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. with the mixer on low speed, blend the ingredients to combine. with the mixer off, add the soft butter and the remaining buttermilk. mix on low to blend. turn the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. add the egg mixture in 3 additions, scraping the bowl well as you go and mixing only to combine thoroughly. divide the batter between the 3 pans and bake until a pick inserted comes out clean, 28-32 minutes. allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, turn out on to a rack and cool completely before frosting it.
the layers can be wrapped and cooled in the fridge overnight to make frosting easier but serve it at room temperature for the best flavor and texture.
instant fudge frosting
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, no sifting needed!
12 ounces unsalted butter, softened
6 tablespoons half and half
1 tablespoon vanilla
using a large capacity food processor, place all of the ingredients in the bowl and pulse to combine. allow the machine to run and process the frosting until it is smooth and glossy.
to frost the cake, place one layer, domed side down, on a cake plate. top it with 3/4 cup of the frosting and spread it to the edges of the layer. top it with the next layer and repeat the process. place the top layer on the cake and using the remaining frosting, frost the sides and top of the cake. if you would like to pipe a border or other decorations, be sure to set aside about 3/4 cup of frosting to use in a piping bag.
adapted from my first book, sky high