Tuesday, August 20, 2013

raspberry-fig crostata: a tuesdays with dorie recipe


it's fig season and our tree is loaded with ripening fruit.  we have two trees actually, a brown turkey and a celeste.  the figs above are from the brown turkey tree; the celeste tree is not producing much fruit yet.  we have been picking the little fruits by the dozen and when i learned this weeks challenge was a choice between a johnny cake cobbler and a raspberry-fig crostata, i had to make the crostata since i had plenty of figs.

we are currently posting without a host but there is a website with some of the recipes on it and the crostata is one of them, see it here.  luckily, there is another link in the recipe to the dough.  but if i may climb on my soapbox for a moment, please consider buying a copy of the book.  as a published author, i cannot tell you how much it means to have the book you worked on sell.  if you cannot buy it, at least try to borrow it from a library or a friend.

i have a collection of tart pans.  for this recipe, i chose the smaller, deep pan which is about 8 inches in diameter.  my thinking was that it would have a nicer ratio of fruit to crust in the deeper pan.

a few notes about the dough, it is a bit sticky and crumbly.  it does not hold itself together well when moving it so be prepared to do some patchwork.  since it was so rich with sugar and eggs, i skipped the egg washing step.  and since i used the smaller pan, i needed a lot less dough-i have about a third of it left.  do not worry, i plan to make some linzer cookies with it.

when it came out of the oven, it was nice and sparkly despite the lack of a wash on top.

beautiful

it was late when i finally pulled the tart out of the oven so we waited until the next day to dig in.  it help up nicely but honestly, the fruit filling could have used more flour.  if i make this again, i will definitely double the flour.
love the color of the filling!  come bake with us sometime.  to see the other participants results, visit the tuesdays with dorie page.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! And those figs are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went the cobbler route this week, but that filling of yours sure looks delicious! and I like that sort of chevron lattice pattern you made-- classy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want a fig tree! Your smaller version is beautiful. My filling ran a bit when first cut - did not wait long enough. I enjoyed this much better cold the following day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so lucky to have a fig tree! Those fresh figs are really really lovely. Your crostata looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I second Smarkies and Cathleeen: I so wish I had a fig tree... I so wish I had any fruit tree.
    Fruit on the market doesn't taste of nothing! It's sad and fade!
    I love your pictures, all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your crostata is absolutely beautiful! I really think I should have made this instead, as I didn't enjoy the cobbler. But I've never baked with figs, so am a little hesitant. (but it looks so good!!!) And that crust sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous presentation. Love the way you slanted the lattice on the pie. Would love to find a pie pan like the one you have.

    ReplyDelete